Autumn is here and Halloween is right around the corner. I love Halloween, but not to happy about it being on a Wednesday this year. Anyhow, today I will be expanding on explaining my Witch’s Cabinet. A lot went into this Cabinet but it was worth it and I had a tone of fun putting it all together, with the help of my fiance of course.
Cabinet: The cabinet itself is from an antique store 21″ tall, 22″ wide and 9″ deep. I removed the doors and painted a green base coat. I used regular glue (Elmer) as my next coat. The glue is what makes it crackle. A thin layer of glue will make small crackles and a thick layer of glue makes large crackles. You paint the glue on and wait for it to get tacky, not dry and not too wet. Once it is tacky, add a thick layer of paint, which mine was black. Only one layer onto of the glue or you will cover the crackles with a second layer. This technique I got off the internet.
Potions: Some of the bottles are store bought and others are from an antique store. I aged them with two techniques. A painted a layer of glue, such as mod podge, on the outside of the bottles or I sandpapered the bottles or I did both. The “potions” themselves are either corn syrup and food coloring or body wash and food coloring. Some potions I added glitter to the corn syrup or body wash and some are just glitter. The body wash, which I used was silver in color, gives it a nice shimmering look to them. In addition, a couple of potions have marbles in them. Lastly, I hand made tags that I inked and added sticker letters to, which I attached with rope.
Books: The books are mostly chipboard covered in paper with lettering attached. The lettering I either inked or embossed in black. One book is a journal from Michaels that I inked. The Spell Book is the exception as it is the mini album. More on that book in a day or two.
Lastly I added details such as candle holders with melted candles, beaded spiders, spiderweb – which i spray inked with a brown color so it won’t be so white, miniature crows, and lights. The clock on the top is “Steampunk Spells Assembly Clock” which I previously posted on September 4, 2013. The tutorial for that project should be up any day now.